- Degree study develops the ability
to work with ideas, to think in terms
of systems, to experiment and to
- Study at a University normally
leads to a degree. Comprehensive
Universities also offer degrees.
- Some degree programmes are
vocationally-oriented, but graduates
in most disciplines will require postgraduate
professional or on-the-job
training to equip them for their future
- A growing focus on interdisciplinary
programmes helps students to
develop the fl exibility to respond to
the challenges they will face.
- Teaching staff are actively involved
in research; some are world experts
in their fi eld.
- Instruction is theoretical and
classroom or laboratory-based.
- Students learn how to learn, and
how to evaluate.
- Most degree programmes last three
or more years. Institutions may
grant credit towards degrees for
relevant courses passed at other